Pages

Monday, April 02, 2007

Rich, very rich


I’ve been without any internets for a week or so because Dora and I were moving out of our old apartment.
Needless to say, the last week has been a flurry of activities, not all of which were related to our apartment. Dora’s folks took us on a trip to France. We saw a bit of Paris and a bit more of the Loire Valley. The trip was spectacular. France is a hell of a country, but I think I’ll save that for another entry later this week.
Today I want to shamelessly brag.
I called home last night and caught them on their way out the door to brunch. I got passed around from my Mom, to my brother Drew, and then to my Dad. I could tell my dad was hungry and he wanted to get to that delicious buffet. I understood. I’m like him in that way. Once the promise of food has been extended, I don’t like things getting in my way. Anyway, I told him that I knew he was in a hurry, but I had news.
I explained that there’s been a change in plans with the apartment Dora and I were going to buy.
I meet a guy who told me that with $30,000 I could buy a nominal claim on a large block of real estate in Romania. I could then sell off the rights to smaller chunks of the property to investors. If everything goes well I should quadruple my money in less then a month.
My father asked , in a measured tone, if I had spoken to anyone else about this.
That’s when I said, “April Fool’s.”
It took him a second to recover, but I had him hook, line, and sinker. It’s the first successful April Fool’s Day prank I’ve pulled in a long time.

2 comments:

chumpo said...

FUCK YA hogan. well done. my father has gotten me on april first many many many times. since about 1998 i've used technology, setting up various calendar reminders that fire off a week or so in advance, to warn me of bill herzing's impending april fools trickery. i don't ever recall getting my father with a good joke, it's as close to impossible as it comes.

tonight ryan maxwell comes to town to stay with me for a week. he's bringing his fiancé. i hope you've had a chance to speak with him about the fact the kid is officially on the road to marriage now.

so, he'll be here in austin for a week. it will be good to show him around my new home town.

i'd like to chat with you soon bro. you should get a gmail account ASAP, their chat client is awesome.

give a hug to yer lovely wife from chumpo. perhaps you can write a books someday entitled, "the wives of cabin g".

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the economic downfall of Rumania the result of a pyrimid scheme that the government had their own people buy into?
Great article!!! Great Prank!!!