Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

People Suck


I can only assume that there are others who share my desire to live within the lyrics of a Tom Waits song. Though I can’t imagine it’s a universal sentiment. I certainly understand that there are some who’d question this desire, remembering the company of drunks and failures that make up the characters who populate Waits’ music. I, however, can’t help myself. Fortunately, life here in Budapest has helped me understand why I feel this way, which is funny because Tom Waits is such an American institution.

He is, in my mind, our version of Jacques Brel, telling the stories of people who are too close to the gritty-yet-vulnerable underbelly of life, and telling those stories with a straightforward nature that goes beyond earnestness.

Back to the city.

It is while I walk the streets of Budapest and ride the public transit system in this city that I am driven to the conclusion: people are despicable, foul, and dirty creatures. We are. There’s little use denying it. Our greatest institutions do nothing but point out our own failings. Science consistently proves that humans do little but sully our own environment, while religion serves as a constant reminder of our inability to attain the higher purpose for which we were placed on this Earth.

I was getting lunch at a Chinese buffet yesterday. One of the customers was complaining about his food. He maybe got a bit too emotional, but he wasn’t out of line. The cashier argued with him for several minutes. It was uncomfortable; I was standing there waiting to be served. The argument ended eventually, but it ended badly, the customer leaving in a huff. And that’s when the cashier called him a “dirty fag” in Hungarian. The customer was clearly gay, but the dirty part was the cashier’s own invention. She said it loud enough for the customer to hear, but she directed the comment at me and the person standing behind me. She said it with that conspiratorial tone, like, “You and me, we know what those kind of people do.”

I boarded the 4/6 tram the other night. It must be one of the most popular trams in Europe. It runs every two or three minutes and is nearly always packed. I was coming home from an evening lesson. When I got on board I noted the strong smell of paint-thinner, or something similar. It was a minute before I found the source. He was maybe eighteen years old, and had emptied a tube of glue into a grocery-store vegetable baggie. He would take three deep breaths of the fumes, take a moment to recover, and then go back to the baggie. His eyes were completely clouded over. He couldn’t sit up to allow other passengers to pass by.

When Dora and I lived on Vörösmarty utca, I enjoyed walking the dog along Andrasy út, Budapest’s grandest avenue. Tree-lined boulevards and palaces adorn the length of the street. I’ve seen quite a few sights there. I will always remember the image of an extremely obese and extremely drunk woman teetering at the lip of the curb of Andrasy út in the middle of the afternoon. She was shoving a gyro into her mouth. Yogurt sauce was smeared across her cheeks. After an especially sloppy bite, she pealed away some of the aluminum foil and flicked it off of her sticky fingers, flicked it in the opposite direction of the garbage can that stood beside her. She then pealed the napkin away from her gyro and dropped the napkin at her feet. Szóda tried to snatch it up.

Despite the barrage of reminders of how low the lowest-common denominator has fallen, I find myself drawn to the dregs, in a strange kind of way. I don’t hold any desire to become bigoted, wasted, or slothful. But to hear Tom Waits tell it, there is a sort of romance that only accompanies those who have regular brushes with desperation. As the gods envied the precious nature of mortal life, I envy the desperate man’s understanding of fulfilling a real need. I don’t want to come off as a wannabe. I know how much insulation there is between me and the people drinking out on my corner. But I don’t want to lose sight of the fact that those are people who are drinking out on the corner.

People may be despicable, foul, and dirty creatures, but only because we so desperately need things like acceptance, escape, and gyros.

I’m not sure I’d want to live a life without such things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test comment: I've been told that leaving a comment on my blog is not user friendly. So I have not logged in, and I am trying to post a comment as an anonymous user. As of right now there doesn't seem to be much to it. Now I will sign my name, and the anonymous part will mean very little.
HH

chumpo said...

sounds like you are images in your day to day life that have been plucked from the movie Gummo. Gummo is one of my favorite movies of all time. it shows how life, the underbelly, as absurd beautiful. the movie is not for everyone, because some people watch movies for uplifting their spirits, or maybe to escape to a world that they wish they could live in.

hogan do you see any random acts of beauty that hint at a grander purpose in life worth writing about?

Hogan said...

RE: "hogan do you see any random acts of beauty that hint at a grander purpose in life worth writing about?"

I guess "People Suck" is my attempt at answering that question in reverse. I am always on the lookout for what is beautiful, in art, literature, life, and so on. But what I find most striking is the effort behind beauty. I don't think beauty can be the result of a random act. I've always been a bit uncomfortable with that term, "Random act of beauty."
I believe beauty requires effort. I also believe that beauty is the greatest grander purpose.
We live in a world filled with beauty - beauty that the forces of nature have been working at for a length of time that is beyond our comprehension. If we spend our lives groping our way toward producing even a pale imitation of that, I think our lives are given purpose. That is what moves me to write, to teach, to love my wife, and to seek out examples of beauty even in the most Gummo-like momments.

Anonymous said...

what i always thing of is the fact that I am just as despicable, bigoted and flawed as "those people." I am them. we are not different. I am just more pompous than them. [that's not sarcasm]

Hogan said...

And that's why I approached this entry through the lens of a Tom Waits song. I remember seeing him interviewed on the Daily Show, and, like Jon, being struck by how he was not the down-and-out character he seems to be in his songs.
It shed light on what his song are, they are portraits of very real people. People with real problems. He can step back and see the human aspect of the crazy alcoholic war vet that many of us choose to shove outside of our perception.
Still, I'm not sure I want to pretend that "we're all the same." Or that "I am them." I've got my issues, but I believe people can lift themselves up and live somewhere above the lowest common denominator. If I didn't believe that, I would see not value in education or self-improvement.

Anonymous said...

people do suck, but i argue biology. i think it has something to do with people choosing to take the path of least resistance in any situation. like any other life form we want to have all our needs met with as little effort exerted on our part as possible. so we end up doing stuff that is generally offensive to everyone around us, but in our own individual, selfish way of thinking it's highly adaptive. the lady with the gyro had her needs met and then some, and the small act of public desecration unfortunately had no ill effect on her achieving those lofty goals of satiety and fulfillment of energy demand. the homophobe waitress positioned herself as one-who-may-pass- judgement-on-others-who-are-known to-be-socially-ostracised-sometimes. even tom waits positions himself above the common riffraff when he deems himself able to comment on how much people suck (and i fall neatly into this right now, i suppose). and so on.

in the wake of kurt vonnegut's passing i reread some interviews he gave and was completely impressed that he called his work "horseshit." because he was aware of how much we suck, all our self-serving biases, and at the same time knew full well that he wasn't producing horseshit, and that people don't suck.

it takes a lot not to suck. you have to fight the primitive urge to do only what is good for yourself at the present moment. you have to transcend a lot of biological programming. some people aren't in a place where they can do that very easily. we are lucky because we have been trained growing up that the path of least resistance isn't a good one for the world at large -- "i am willing to be third," "I would be true/pure/strong/brave/friend to all/giving/humble/look up/laugh/love/lift" and all that. so sure, people suck. everyone would probably agree that everyone else sucks, but who would say that they personally suck?

Anonymous said...

People should read this.