Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

American Universities as International Universities


The New York Times has an article on the challenges students and universities are facing as international enrollment is on the rise.
English is just one of numerous challenges for the foreigners that must be addressed in the transition year. Many say they are used to classes in which only the teachers speak, they do not call on students, students have few choices about what work they will do, and grades are based entirely on a few written exams.
This was the challenge I faced at the beginning of my career when I was teaching at American colleges over in Hungary, and it has become the challenge I face here at UC Davis. All but one of the courses I teach this year are for international students.

I love this challenge.

My classroom is tremendously interesting, engaging, and dynamic. My students talk about how different the learning style is here (sure, it's because I make them, but once they start, they do get going). In the doing they are actively reflecting on the learning process - linking it to their own experience.

The language issue is real, and it does require more work, but I like my work (even when I don't).

A diverse classroom should not be seen as a burden. It is a learning tool. Transitioning and crossing boundaries are important stages in the learning process.

The NYT article covers how private companies are stepping in to help international students make the transition.

There are some ethical issues to weigh there. And there are some educational issues there.

Worth the read and worth some serious consideration.

No comments: