Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pee Tram

Pictures are of the view from the 4/6 tram as it passes over Margit Bridge, which is undergoing a major renovation.

The 4/6 tram smelled of urine this morning. While this is not the normal state of affairs, it is not as rare as it should be.

Oddly enough, riding along with that smell was something of a learning experience for me. I like to think that speaks to my career choice - I tend to see everything as a teachable moment. Once upon a time, I thought that was how most people saw the world.

Anyway, the pee smell wasn't overpowering, but there was no doubting its presence. I scanned the tram for drunks and layabouts. That's where you normally find the most urine. I was standing near a guy who might have been homeless, but he seemed well-kept enough. I didn't lean in for a good sniff or anything, but I was pretty sure he wasn't the offender, regardless of his housing situation.

When the tram stopped at Nyugati and the crowd thinned a bit, I moved to another spot.

I could still smell the urine. That was curious.

For a moment, I wondered whether or not I was the one who smelled like pee. Could I have had an accident, forgotten about it, and then decided to wear the soiled garment? That seemed unlikely. Perhaps one of the dogs had peed on me during the morning walk. Stranger things have happened. But I'm in jeans, so the wetness would still be visible.

It was at this point that said to myself, "Maybe I should ask one of my friends at work whether or not I smell of pee."

Then I got mad at Perry LaRoque.

You see, on a spring day back in 1999 Perry decided it would be funny if he could convince me that I was a smelly person. I was rather impressionable that day, and after a while Perry had me believing that everyone I knew thought of me as "Smelly Hogan." In fact, according to Perry, that was the name people called me when I wasn't around. The real killer in Perry's little act was this: He seemed surprised by my reaction. I was not happy, of course, and he said, "Wow, Hogan, we all thought you knew. We thought you just didn't care."

For a bit of time there, I thought I was the smelly friend. I thought the people who I had surrounded myself with were tolerant enough to ignore my odor, and now I had to change. I had to show them that I did care. I had to rid myself of the stink. The problem was I didn't know how. Even when I was an undergrad, I showered, I brushed, I laundered, and so on. Was I going to have to invest in some kind of heavy-duty soap product?

Fortunately, it didn't go that far.

Perry let me off the hook after only a few minutes. That wasn't easy. At first, I though maybe he was just being nice. "Oh, Hogan, don't worry about it. You don't really smell... (that bad)." But he eventually convinced me that it was all a joke.

Still, the fact that I fell so hard for the prank exposed a kind of insecurity in me. I first noticed its existence that day in '99, and the feeling resurfaces every once in a while. It did today for a moment on the tram. I don't think I'm alone in having this insecurity: In my weaker moments I can convince myself that I have failed to notice a weakness or fault in myself that is painfully obvious to the rest of the world.

I should probably have more confidence in myself. I should know that the odor of urine says more about the city of Budapest than it does about me. But I don't like to simply dismiss these moments. You have bad feelings for a reason. So I thought about it for a while, and this is what I came up with: Even if I'm not the one who stinks, I am riding to work in a uric cloud. I should probably do something to change that circumstance.

That got me thinking of the old advice "surround yourself with excellence." If you want to know something about a person, you look at the environment they choose to live in and the people they associate with.

Spring weather is arriving. Maybe I should starting riding my bike to work again... and I should clean my office.

7 comments:

alison said...

I like it, Hogan... and you definitely don't belong on a smelly 'pee train'. :)

Unknown said...

I remember the day well, in fact, I think about it occasionally too. I actually revealed it as a joke only after you refused to go inside of the apartment office we were headed to. Otherwise, I may have just let you squirm a bit longer. The funny thing was that you actually smelled like soap (which I hate the smell of), and that is what I was first referring to when I said you smelled bad. Fortunately, as you know, I would always be the first to tell you if you had stuff in your teeth or a booger in your nose, that's the kind of guy I am. And I know you would never hit me in the face as hard as you can, even if the Packers just lost to the Broncos...oh wait.

Dorika said...

I wish I was there to see the Packers/Broncos incident.

Who doesnt like the smell of soap?

Oh perry.....

Hogan, you smell great.

chumpo said...

"If you want to know something about a person, you look at the environment they choose to live in and the people they associate with." and WHY they choose to live in a place and WHY they choose to associate with certain people. Example: Mama Teresa.

I keep Perry at arms length to avoid allowing him to pull fast ones over on me, all at the cost of walking around snot-nosed-dirty-teethed.

chumpo said...

AND i love your linked stuff in this post. LAVA SOAP! hot professor perry? champ.

Hogan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hogan said...

Today is the first time since this post that I have encountered the smell of urine on the tram... No I haven't started riding my bike yet. It's still too cold.