Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Stonewalling Takes Brickheadedness

It is odd having my home state in the news as much as it has been lately.

Overall, I have been impressed by the way Wisconsinites have conducted themselves.  They've treated this like a tough issue that deserves careful consideration.

For example, the Journal Sentinel's Patrick McIlheran is an editorial columnist on the right side of the spectrum. He doesn't like collective bargaining, and he has made that clear. And when someone from the Daily Kos misinterpreted McIlheran's argument, McIlherandid did not shy away from getting into the details. This is a complicated issue, and a real debate is not going to be sound-bite friendly.

Then there are the protesters and the counter-protesters. By all accounts, they are passionate yet reasonable people

Sadly, the same cannot be said for the Governor.He's presenting an argument to the people of Wisconsin (oh, and incidentally the nation - the man seems to be enjoying the attention) that the State Senators who are holding up the vote are on the verge of costing the state millions of dollars.

There some truth to that. If the State Senators don't return to Wisconsin, state money will be lost.

But the Governor's assertion would not hold up well as part of an essay submitted in my composition classroom.

His argument suggests that members of his opposition are the ones being overly-stubborn. A critical reader would need some evidence to support that.

Sadly for the Governor, the evidence suggests that he and his fellow hard-liners are the people refusing to compromise.

His opposition has offered to compromise on the financial issues. They don't, however, want to lose collective bargaining rights. I believe the thinking there is as follows: We are willing to give up pay and benefits when times are bad (now), but we want to retain the right to bargain so we can recoup those cuts when times get better (later).

The Governor has forced his opposition to give up a lot, and so far he has yielded nothing - and he has said he is unwilling to yield anything.

His assertion that a stubborn opposition has held up the process is problematic.  When one side is ready to compromise, while the other side refuses to do so, the label of stubborn is applied to the latter.

The Governor is the stubborn one here.  He sees this as a zero-sum game. That is an obtuse understanding of democracy, a view that is putting his state and his constituents at risk.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew
where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having
difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if
that would be ok. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet visitors, its really
really nice article on building up new weblog.

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm completely
confused .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually recognise what you
are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally talk over with my site
=). We can have a hyperlink alternate agreement among us

Anonymous said...

Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company
you're working with? I've loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot
quicker then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a reasonable price?
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Very good blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.

Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally
confused .. Any ideas? Appreciate it!