Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Planck's Constant Times Two


Both my first and my last name start with the same letter: H.

I like my initials. They have a symmetry and they look good together.

For several years I have signed my emails with my initials. For even longer, I have signed non-legal documents like this.

Recently I learned that white supremacists often use my initials, or the numerical equivalent of my initials as a short hand high-five. In chat rooms and text messages, these jackasses type one H and then another as an abbreviation of the Nazi salute to Hitler.

Let me just start off by saying that I hate Nazis and white supremacists. There is nothing more pathetic than white people complaining about the "raw deal" history has dealt their race.

Note:
If you think you are at a disadvantage because you are white, you are a stupid person.
You are actually at a disadvantage because of your stupidity. The color of your skin has nothing to do with how miserable a failure you have become. You have failed to achieve your goals because you suck at being a person.

Now, by calling white supremacists stupid miserable failures, I know that I have shut off any potential debate that might have led to a better understanding between myself and those who don't see these things the same way I do.

Cool.

I do not want to share ideas with people who think the white race is superior to other races. I don't want to associate with people who believe Hitler had some good ideas.

When I hear the bile these idiots spew, I am reminded that some people cannot learn. There are people who are hopelessly stupid. There is no reason to even acknowledge their voices. We have to let them speak in a democracy, but we don't have to engage them.

Shut them out. Their ideas are not useful.

All that said, I do have to deal with something these hopelessly small-minded and insignificant people have shat out onto the internet. In some circles my initials are interpreted as a symbol of hate. I am not sure if I should react to that. Should I switch to HMH when signing emails? Should I just use Hogan? Should I ignore the connotation and stick with my old signature? I'd like to ask my readers what they think.

9 comments:

Mandy McCumber said...

I like Hogan. It has that single name flair to it like Madonna or Cher. It's a unique name. Take advantage of it.

HMH is the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to me, but it's also way less offensive that being branded a friend of Hitler.

Growing up an AA that didn't want to be mistaken for a drunk, I went by ARA. Then I got lucky and married an M, so instead of ARM, I go by MM. Who doesn't love M&Ms?

Have you run into enough people that associate HH with these idiots that it really matters? Or is it just bugging you? I ask because I've never heard of the HH shorthand, and I think I'm pretty down with the acronyms. I guess I don't really know any white supremacist or hang in their chat rooms either.

chumpo said...

Go full name, Hogan Michelle Hayes. If people think it too formal they're most likely Nazis.

aahahhahaha holy shit, i'm in shock at how dumbass this guy's truck looks, http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/27/license-plate-with-c.html
great link hogan.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hogan said...

Brad,
My middle name is Michael... not Michelle.
Just because your middle name is Willma, doesn't mean you have to make everyone's name feminine.

Hogan said...

Brad,
My middle name is Michael... not Michelle.
Just because your middle name is Willma, doesn't mean you have to make everyone's name feminine.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
尚舒 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.