Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Support for Assault Victim from CEU

Early Saturday morning Edward Cuneo was assaulted by three attackers near a major public transit hub. Edward is from the US and is here in Budapest pursuing a degree in gender studies.

I want to extend my best wishes to Edward and his family and friends.

CEU has done an excellent job keeping the community informed about the situation. According to internal communications, Edward is recovering from his injuries. Again, I wish him all the best.

It is worth noting that in the most recent update on the assault, the Rector of CEU suggested that in the weeks leading up to Hungarian elections "it is advisable to exercise caution when facing situations where the diverse views of others might result in volatile actions."

Sadly, that is good advice today in Hungary. I can't help but feel ashamed that such advice is required in the country I have called home for the past six years.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been calling it home for the last 20 years, but sadly, I also gave this advice to many of my friends at CEU in the last couple of weeks. You chose a right time to leave this country, many of us will soon follow.

Dorika said...

Could you give more details about what happened? Has the Hungarian news reported on this? It is embarrasing to live in a country (and call it your home) that seems to be moving backwards, rather than forwards.

Unknown said...

We don't know more, and as far as i know, there was no report on it. This seems to be such a usual case here..
However, Professor do you know the ethnicity of Edward? I was wondering if that was the issue.

Hogan said...

I don't want to violate anyone's privacy here on the blog, so I didn't include much in the way of details. I did give link to some stuff Edward has shared. The link on Edward's name leads to his Twitter account - or at least the account of a CEU grad student named Edward Cuneo.

I found no news on the assault, and I did a fair amount of searching.

KJ said...

I have sent a request to the student union for an early meeting to address some questions.....