Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

A shift in focus


I'm going to take this blog in a new direction. I want to focus more on the day to day concerns in two areas of my life: my teaching & my writing.

My Teaching
I teach composition and communication at CEU Business School here in Budapest. In the past six months I have invested myself more and more into my work as a teacher. I launched a writing center. I'm trying to keep up with the journals. I'm beginning a big research project on how a multi-national classroom affects collaborative writing projects. In sum, I'm more excited about my work than ever, and I'm aiming at a level of professionalism that I wasn't previously interested in.

The obstacles and objectives on this path include the the following:
I teach students in a relatively new undergraduate program that is still working to determine its own 'hows and whys.'
I do need to return to school for my PhD if I plan to take this career path any further, and in the current atmosphere, I need to get that PhD from a top-notch university.

My Writing
I recently put away the latest manuscript of a novel that I've written and re-written countless times in the past several years. Since then, I've begun working on a writing project that feels like fun (for now), a fantasy saga.

For the next several months, I'd like to use Hogs In Budapest to focus on these two areas of my life. I plan to compose significantly shorter posts, but I also plan to post much more often.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Hi Hogan!

I'm still reading and I look forward to hearing more about your teaching and writing lives.