Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Meanest Thing I've Ever Written on the Internet



So this is the crap I deal with while living in Europe. Some guy who went to school with Dóra contacted me through Facebook to let me know that he took a look at the blog. Here’s what he had to say:

Javier Colon (Denmark) wrote
at 8:47pm on April 1st, 2008

Hello!

Just took a look at your Hogs In Budapest website.

I thought maybe you should consider clarifying exactly what you mean by "Midwesterner living in Central Europe"

Midwesterner... To native United Stater's makes sense... but when taken out of context... It can be quite confusing ;)

I thought the comment was tongue-in-cheek. I mean, it had to be, right? So, I wrote back the following:

Hogan Hayes wrote
at 8:32am

Happy to hear you took a look at Hogs. But I'm wondering, do you know of any other region in the world called the Midwest? I'm pretty sure the one in the States is the only Midwest.
If, however, there is a European out there who has never said anything disparaging about the poor geography skills of Americans (unlikely), and who also can say they don't know where the Midwest is, then maybe I'll think about giving a better explanation of the term Midwest (one of only six regions within the continental US).

Okay, so maybe that was a little more biting than necessary, but how many more times am I going to have to see that “Smarter than a 5th Grader” video accompanied by smarmy comments from some EU citizen who thinks Ms. Kelly Pickler is a quality representative of the American intellect? So I bristled. I’ll admit it. I do not, however, think my response was wrong-headed. My intended reader here at ‘Hogs in Budapest’ is someone who knows that in English, the term ‘Midwest’ refers to American fly-over country. I also expect my readers to comprehend understatement, sarcasm, and omission of the obvious. I expect my readers to be able to read subtext. I hope my readers can appreciate irony. I pray my readers will avoid taking themselves too seriously. Now, with all that in mind, have a look at what Javier sent in way of a response.

Javier Colon (Denmark) wrote
at 9:17am

Hello Again!

Although I have lived in several countries over the years… I have yet to find one that uses the term "Midwest" when describing their geographical regions. However, this may be due to the fact that I do not speak the local language of the places I’ve been. This does not grant me the right to just automatically assume that no country uses the term “Midwest” to describe their regions. My concern was the fact that you were using this term “Midwesterner” based on the assumption that it only refers to the USA. This can be interpreted as a slightly arrogant way to generalize that everyone who visits your webpage would automatically understand what you meant. I would suggest that you consider being more diplomatic in your descriptions. Since you are a USA citizen living abroad, I feel it is your duty and responsibility to avoid perpetuating the foolish American stereotype of making board assumptions based on random thoughts.

I would like to start by saying, I was just accused of arrogance because I said I am from the Midwest. For those of you who also hail from the Midwest, hold on to this moment: Javier (who has lived in several countries over the years) thinks a claim to Midwestern roots is arrogant.

That said, I’d like to thank Javier for his concern; it’s true that the word “Midwesterner” may have more than one meaning. And perhaps Javier is right to point out that my use of the word could reinforce “the foolish American stereotype of making board assumptions based on random thoughts.” (I know it’s a cheap shot, but how could I resist?)

So, since Javier felt compelled to share his concerns about my Blogger profile on Facebook, I thought I’d share my concerns about his Facebook comments here on ‘Hogs.’ Javier, I am concerned that you might be a bit of an ass. You see, as a ‘USA citizen living abroad’, I bump into your type all too often: the type who on one hand ‘automatically assumes’ that Americans are ‘slightly arrogant, ’ and on the other hand feels comfortable informing me of what my ‘duty and responsibility’ might be.

Understand, I’m not generalizing here (a deed you seem to abhor). I’ve met plenty of people here in Europe who are good-natured, intelligent folks. You just aren’t one of them. You think I ought to be more diplomatic with my language? Well, I think you ought to engage in autoerotic stimulation. It would be a more valuable use of your time than the above exchange.

Would a winking emoticon make this easier to swallow? Too bad.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it sting? OR does it leave more of salty taste in your mouth?

I think everyone needs a little constructive criticism every now and then... I just hope I didn't knock you too far off your pedastil.

I guess your reaction speaks for itself ;)

-Javier

Anonymous said...

Post Scriptum:

If you took the time to check your facts... you would discover that I too am from the so called Midwest!

-Javier

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smddcs5n0H0

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smddcs5n0H0

-Javier

Anonymous said...

Hogan,

Don't take it personal. This guy is a moron with a huge anti-American chip on his shoulder spoiling for a fight. I find it ironic that he molest you on this matter as you are one of the most accommodating Americans when it comes to blatant knee-jerk anti-Americanism.

There is nothing arrogant about calling yourself a Midwesterner and you are not obligated to specify exactly what sort of Midwesterner you are. Be it Danish, Spanish, Mexican, Argentine, Serbian or any other region/country that might just have a 'Midwest'.

If I describe myself as an Alföldi , do I have to specify that I am a Alföldi magyar? Even if there is a
Great Plain in Canada, for example?

Of course not.

Truth is, that anti-Americanism, contrary to popular belief is not cogent and not critical. It, like any other -ism, is simply prejudice . Many justify it as this or that sort of deserved feedback/criticism -- don't be fooled. It is simply hate/jealousy/bias etc etc

Ultimately, there is nothing you can do about it as anti-Americanism it not rational. It is a stereotype that its proponents seek to perpetuate at whatever cost.

BTW only anti-Americanists can be so stupid as to believe that Kelli Pickler was chosen for her smarts. And by the way, that smart aleck kid got it right.

Anonymous said...

In my perspective neither of them are wrong. However, this blog is owed by Mr. Hayes so he can introduce whatever concepts he likes. Javier u cannot go around other people's blogs and affirm that they are arrogant, because it is an insult. If u dont like it dont read it.
Gabi

Anonymous said...

Correction :)
I meant to say, that u cannot call people arrogant because he calls himself a "midwestern".

Hillary or Ryan said...

Ah the midwest...such a beautiful place filled with thoughtful people. A few important aspects to know about the Midwest and Midwesterners: Be kind to others. The measure of one's worth is determined by one's actions and good deeds. There's nothing better than a mosquito-less summer night grilling out with a Leinekugel's Honey Weiss in hand. A good neighbor will always help you out after an enormous snow storm. The way to repay that neighbor is some warm homemade cinnamon rolls. It's such a beautiful place...rolling hills, lakes, rivers, the gentle breeze in the summer, the first snowfall in December.

Stephan Clark said...

I'd hate to think how Javier would've fared if he'd sent his email to someone from the north-east.

;)

Anonymous said...

As a Centralist living in Midwestern Europe I take extreme and didactically opposed offense with the use of cardinal directions. Firstly of alling, they have a ring of regionalistic paradigmatic corpulence that has no bearing beyond the bering sea.

As a Mountainist, I find that no country should feel confused by my elocutious wit. It's part of my culture to find that all people who are not Mountainists (who we rightly call the loewlanderschlobfz) have a gravely underdeveloped pituitary which causes their undisposed sense of spelling. We use pedastil as a drug, right after guardastil and penistilan. We place our flowers on a pedestal -- which works much better. So it's clear that when we write in another language, rather than foolishly and arrogantly assuming to know how to spell a word, we take the second or two not perpetuate the stereotype of ignorance that has surrounded us since Colon (or Columbus as you loewlanderschlobfzen often call him).

Forgive me for my lack of understanding of sarcasm. We Central Mountainists find that it's hard to waste our breath with the lack of oxygen.

We prefer to save our breath until we have something important to say. Not to be arrogant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnWlLTqu4Y

Anonymous said...

I never intended to get all this attention. It was Mr. Hayes decision to post my comment on his blog. As a fellow midwesterner from good old "Mob-Town-USA" or what its officially known as Youngstown, Ohio...

I only decided to share with Mr. Hayes some advice that I recieved a long time ago. Be more diplomatic. He took offense to some words I wrote: "This can be interpreted as a slightly arrogant"

I appear to have hurt his ego.

For that I apologize!

No harm done... Im sure ;)

Hopefully something was learned. I for one... will not rely on my spell-checker to do my work for me :)

-Javier

Anonymous said...

Javier, a trolls troll

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Javier,

You should have disregarded that advice. Your insecurity got the best of you and you came off as a douche bag when you passed that advice along.

Learn to think for yourself.